Practicing portion control is another crucial factor…

While eating well is an important part of maintaining a healthy life style, it’s okay to be a little lax about it every once in a while. The 80/20 rule states that you can eat healthy 80% of the time and use the remaining 20% for holidays and other special occasions. If you eat healthy in the weeks leading up to the holidays, you can get away with eating junk food for a day or two.

Practicing portion control is another crucial factor in keeping your weight down. Overeating can lead to significant weight gain and hunger is also often confused with thirst. So next time you feel like getting another plate of food or having a between-meal snack, opt for a glass of water instead.

Having healthy options on the holiday dinner table can help reduce temptation while still satisfying your hunger. For example, you could replace mashed potatoes with sweet potatoes which are higher in fiber and rich in vitamin A. Also, make sure to have plenty of vegetables with a modest amount of fatty creams and sauces and try not to go overboard with the desserts.

As you can see, the holiday season doesn’t have to be synonymous with weight gain. It is possible to enjoy the season without carrying around an extra 10 pounds by New Years. Calories reset every 24 hours, so what’s the harm is splurging a little?

  • Share: